Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Dar Es Salaam...aka "the city"

So, I have officially arrived in the big city of Dar Es Salaam , on the coast of Tanzania. It serves as a port for tanzania, as well as a stop for all tourists traveling to Zanzibar, the overly touristy island that everyone thinks of as encompassing the entire cost of Tanzania. When i say "Big city" don't be thinking NYC or anything, but there are big buildings here and traffic and people everywhere and it is certainly not a place I want to walk around in after dusk. A high percentage of Muslims live on the coast, so most women walk around with their heads covered and certainly every decent non-mzungu wears skirts below the knee, though that is normal of most of Tanzania. Upon first arrival, I paid the most I have paid for a taxi yet in Tanzania (about $8 USD) to get to the YWCA, where I spent last night and will stay again tonite... and which, surprisingly, costs the most out of anywhere that I've stayed in Tanzania (about $8 USD per night for a single room)... these are what I consider expensive prices now, lol...

But, good news! I found the organization that I am going to be working with for the next month or so! It was a bit of an adventure to get there, because its out in a residential area and the taxis from in town aren't quite sure where it is located, but once arriving I was made to feel quite at home and was introduced to the organization itself. In case I have yet to mention, it is called LEAT, short for the Lawyers' Environmental Action Team, and they have a webpage (not at all updated however) where you can read a bit about them. Basically, they pursue litigation for communities faced with issues surrounding land rights, pollution, and violation of environmental law. They also educate local communities about their rights in relation to environmental law, as well as about conservation and sustainable resource use. Finally, they work with policy makers to suggest changes to old laws, and help to draft new laws, regarding the environment in Tanzania and in East and South Africa. I think that, whatever I end up doing with them, I am bound to learn something and to interact with interesting people during this next month! And, the very very good news, the ladies at LEAT have offered me a room to stay in for free, so no more expensive YWCA!!

Back to Dar itself, a few more brief notes before I sign off for the night... I should have regular email access, as I have found a cheap internet cafe with a very nice muslim lady who has offered to take me around town and to her house for lunch (which is relatively normal in Tanzania, though if she were a man I would certainly refuse and as is I'm not so sure yet if I'll go)... I DO have a cell phone (see previos blog), and I expect at least my not-very-worrisome parents will call soon, so that I can test my phone as I have yet to recieve a call...hint hint... and thats about it for now... more soon!

3 comments:

Sue Longsjo said...

Hi Jess,
Oh, dear me, now you are becoming a legal beagle besides. LEAT sounds like a great opportunity for you...and please keep all of us posted on your luncheon dates. Needless to say, I'll keep worrying about you.
Love Sue

mom said...

hmmmmm , NOT worrisome parents ehhh, hardly, I was looking at if I needed to fly to Africa to take care of my "little"girl( blush)
LEAT sounds like a place just up your alley.Its really neat that you are being so welcomed by the community BUT like Sue I worry

John said...

Jess, Are you now thinking about going to lae school? Just think my daughter the lawyer! It sounds like alot of fun working there and I'm sure you will enjoy it. But which would you rather do work there or be out in the field? Love ya always. Dad