Friday, June 8, 2007

Cheers!

Hello folks,
So, this will have to be brief again, sorry for the lack of excitement since the last post...
Knowesgate hotel is treating me very well, I get to live and eat there for free and I get paid under the table, The hotel itself is about 45 minutes outside of Newcastle, in the middle of farming/countryside/national park land, and the area is absolutely beautiful, cows and sheep everywhere. Since we're the only thing around, and we're also a pub and restaurant, we get all the locals every night who are fun people to talk to (and they drink a lot which makes my boss happy). The only downside I've seen so far is that it's really difficult to get into even the nearest town with the internet, and that is at a public library that doesn't let me access this webpage or various others as it sees fit...oh, and that my boss is very particular in that not-so-nice sense of being a bit of an asshole one minute and really nice 5 minutes later... but anyway, the staff is from all corners of the world; an aussie, a south african, a kenyan, a spanish girl, and me from across the big puddle. There really isn't anything to spend money on (except beer) which is great because it means I'm saving money (except beer money).

So I'm in Derry in northern ireland right now, visiting a friend Michelle from Bucknell who's here on a school trip, which is great because its a long weekend and I've only been working for 1.5 weeks so far! I haven't decided whether I'll stay here the whole weekend or head back to Dublin on Sunday (I fly out of there back to Newcastle), but I'm sure I'll have fun either way! I do wish I was seeing more of Ireland, but I'll put it on my to-do list for after university! This will make 2 Bucknellians I've seen in the past 2 days, because my friend Jon who graduated some years ago was over on holiday for the past week and he came up to the hotel last night so we caught up a bit, hadn't seen him in over a year so it was fun!

Hmmmm ok, I think that's about it! xxoo miss you all!

3 comments:

"Mum" said...

Jess,

I guess you have found out about the pleasures of mixing different kinds of beverages--Take care with that.

You must be pretty far out in the country. It is beautiful, but isolated. Maybe you can get to Edinburgh or over to the Peak District-- very beautiful scenery there as well.

Meg is back, at least for a few days, and we are all fine.

See you!

"Mum"

Wayward said...

Hey Sparkplug,

Sounds like another chapter in the Adventures of Jess has begun...sorry to hear the boss is a bit of a pendulum swing when it comes to emotions, and that Newcastle ale isn't abound in Newcastle. There should be a disclosure on all bottles from now on...stupid advertising.

Life in Alaska is much warmer...I can still see sunlight and it's almost 10:15 PM here...crazy! Orcas, cruise ships and bald eagles, oh my! Also, I got myself an apartment just outside of Downtown Ketchikan, and I move in Thursday. It's not much, but a great price for up here.

Take care of yourself, my little vagabond.

-Guinan

mom said...

Hey Jess
All that adventure sounds wonderful.My kid seeing the world ...

So glad you are having fun

Hmm tell the boss black cohosh and wild yam lol two great plant estrogens that might straighten out the moodiness
mom