Monday, March 22, 2010

Quick update: I'm in Egypt!

Hello friends,

It's been over a month, which is more my style in terms of blog updates. So, quickly, before my internet time expires...

I spent 3 weeks in Dahab, Egypt, getting my Advanced Open Water SCUBA certification and snorkling and being an all around beach bum, my 2nd favorite occupation after world traveling. Was CSing with a very cool Belgian traveler named Thomas, who had come to Dahab to stay for one night... and had been there 3 months. I expected to stay 3 days, so was happy 3 weeks later when Thomas decided to come with me and we escaped Dahab for Cairo. But before that...

We met 3 Swedish boys who came to dive in Dahab, and had been driving a super pimped out land cruiser from Sweden. They are heading overland to Cape Town, and so Thomas and I hitched a ride to Suez and Cairo with them. Called "Team 2Cape", it's likely that I will meet them again along the way and travel with them a bit... perhaps from Ethiopia to Tanzania, or something like that. Check out their amazing pictures of all of us in Egypt at www.2cape.com (use google translator or just click "galleri" and "egypt").

Spent yesterday extending my expired Egyptian visa, today applying for Ethiopian Visa and getting laughed at when I asked for a Sudanese visa. Will leave in a few days for Luxor/Aswan, likely fly over Sudan to Addis Ababa, and then continue south. More updates to come, but now you all know I'm alive...

This is Jess, signing out. Loves to WTK, who I might meet up with again when she comes to Egypt in about a week!

4 comments:

crypticbullshit said...

WTS!!

So does that mean that you're going to come back up to Cairo just to see little old me? Hope so. I want to hear your stories and cash in a couple of those backrubs you owe me. Be safe, lady. Smell you later. Well, maybe sooner than later...

WTK!!

jan said...

Glad you are having fun, The pictures are great.I'm glad you found travel companions too, all the better.
In the states the health care bill finally passed , though watered down.Its not as good as it would have been, but more will be fought for later on ( just to give you news of home) Mom will be in Florida by the time you arrive back here.It looks likely that i will move permanently , though the summer will be the test of that.More than one beach bum in this family
mom

jan said...

jess call home asap

.edu said...

jess! hope all is well. e-mail me and tell me what's up (bct42@cornell). i'm off facebook, which has made my life better except for not hearing from you!