Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Future...

When do you reach that point where you know what you want to do for the rest of your life? I'm contemplating the various life-paths that have been proposed for me by others- law, politics, NGOs, lobbying, university organization- and none of them seem entirely complete. So how long can I bounce around exploring the world before I make some type of decision?

Things that are important to me: I don't want my insecurity about "making the right decision" to keep me from ever making any decision about what to next pursue in my life. I don't want to feel pressured to choose a career path and go back to grad school because the clock is ticking and if I don't do it by the time I'm 30 something horrible will happen (most likely the collision of the earth with mars).

I bet that college seniors all across the world are asking these same questions. But, I have chosen to work a year, then travel a year, then live in Cali for a year, and then, perhaps, grad school for a yet-to-be-determined topic? I'm hoping this is one of those things that people say will work itself out?

My choices come with their own consequences. I want to travel right now, and I'm already juggling what little time I can take off from work- and I am consciously subjecting myself to more of that over the next year. But, if traveling is so important to me, why am I choosing to do this? I believe I feel a little obligated at this point, I've been given a leadership role in my job already, I've made an agreement to stay on for a year, I've nearly signed a lease, this is a great resume builder... but realistically, I COULD get out of all of these things and go off around the world.

3 comments:

Wayward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wayward said...

Sparkplug,

Your thoughts are so conflicting I can practically see the storm from here in Alaska. You don't want to be defined by your actions, yet who are you without them? What you're seeing is what so many of us at this era of our mid-twenties face after college or at least the age of 24. You're accepting the fact that your role in society needs to be defined, molded into something more concrete than student, yet your free spirit is screaming for a revolution of independence from the confinement of roles.

This is definitely a defining moment for you, and I can see how you and I are definitely not the same people we knew years ago. I chose the path I'm on to help me find a direction, and now that I have I've never been happier. I have a vehicle, a job and office I love, and I've met someone I may want to actually look at a future with. I still have desires to see and do so many things, yet I understand that life is happening so quickly I know I'll be assuming the roles that I've been afraid to assume sooner than I could ever imagine or want.

I honestly think a part of you is very afraid of the future, which is why you're not sure what direction you want to go yet. I don't blame you, I was the same way at 23-24, and a part of me still is.

"I know I'll do the right thing, if the right thing is revealed."- Staind

I'm sure when the answer presents itself, you'll know what direction you must go...

jordi comas said...

You going to return to blogging?

Interested in more political blogging?

This is new and getting off the ground:
spillingink.net

Jordi